How are your Christmas shopping coming around? Is everyone prepared to feast and celebrate this season? As always, I have finished most of my gift shopping and just can't wait to give the presents I have chosen for my dear ones and friends :) Oh, and of coz I am looking forward to the family X'mas gathering and feasting as well. I bet you must be like me too, having loads of festivities going on and all the drinking and eating.. all these coupled with the fact that we live in a fast changing society, leading such a hectic lifestyle can take a toll on one’s health.
Whilst it is a season to celebrate in the company of family and friends, over-indulging can become a nightmare for our health, particularly our liver.
The liver is one organ we can't live without. Which is why some people lost their lives once the liver stopped functioning. It is THAT important. Do you know that the liver performs up to some 500 functions in keeping our bodies going on?
the organ in red is our liver
It serves as the body’s food laboratory and filtering system, removing impurities and toxins harmful to the body while combating infections. If your liver suffers inflammation or is damaged in any way, it can interfere with these essential functions and lead to poor health overall.
Lifestyle habits like poor diet, lack of exercise, stress, smoking and routine alcohol consumption are some examples of poor lifestyle habits which can affect the liver function. A diet that is rich in saturated fat and trans fatty acid will promote the accumulation of fat in the liver.All these will inevitably lead to overweight. Bad drinking habits also promotes a unhealthy liver. It is important for people to know that a couple of drinks of alcohol a day that has become a habit for a number of years can be enough to lead to cirrhosis of the liver.
Fortunately, loving your liver is pretty easy when you know how. Lifestyle modifications like exercise, maintaining a healthy diet and consumption of nutritional supplements are effective in preventing fatty liver in most individuals.Did you ask how do we know if our livers are not healthy?
Here are the signs and symtops of a damaged liver
- The most important thing to recognize about liver disease is that up to 50% individuals with underlying liver disease have no symptoms. The most common symptoms are very non-specific and they include:
- Abdominal pain in the upper right part of the stomach
- Darkened urine
- Fatigue or excessive tiredness
- Loss of appetite
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eye whites or skin)
- Light colored stools
- Muscle aches and pains
- Unusual weight loss or weight gain
- Varicose veins
Recently, I have been introduced to a health supplment that will help keep my liver happy! I am glad to share with you the benefits of Essentiale.
o A healthy liver can regenerate itself by absorbing EPLs, essential phospholipids that are the building blocks of the liver cell membrane. However, unhealthy lifestyle can hurt the liver and cause liver calls to lose phospholipids. Clinical research has proven that taking a supplement of EPLs can support vital function of the liver*.
o Essentiale contains 300 mg of essential phospholipids (EPLs) that work by restoring normal cell membrane* to help support the vital liver functions.
EPLs is found to support vital function of the liver.
Here's a list on how you can take care of your liver.
Simple Ways To Love Your Liver
- Eat Right - For proper functioning of the liver you need to take a balanced diet rich in different vegetables, fruits and proteins. Excess fats and carbohydrates can cause fat deposits in the liver. Eat small meals as they can easily be digested and create less burden to the liver.
- Minimize Intake or Avoid Alcohol - Minimize intake or stop drinking alcohol. This means minimizing or avoiding beer, wine, cocktails, champagne, and liquor in any other form.
- Take medicines as prescribed and do not exceed recommended doses - Even seemingly harmless medicines can damage the liver. If you have diabetes and high blood cholesterol and triglycerides, strictly follow your doctor’s prescribed treatment.
- Avoid environmental pollutants - Fumes of chemicals like insect sprays, paints, car fumes and other aerosol sprays when inhaled may be absorbed and damage the liver.
- Exercise - There is good evidence that gradual weight loss coupled with increased exercise will reduce the fat deposits in the liver.
- Nutritional supplements – Supplements which contain polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are also known as essential phospholipids (EPL), are vital nutrients which can support the liver. When a liver is damaged, the membranes of its cells lose phospholipids, which are an important component of all cell membranes. However, when phospholipids are replaced quickly, a damaged liver can repair enough liver cells to resume normal functions. Essentiale® contains highly purified EPLs that can help repair, restore and regenerate your liver. Liver cells are the only internal organ that can regenerate; as long as there are enough healthy cells – it is never too late to protect your liver!
So my dear friends, celebrating Christmas in the city is such a thrilling experience. As the festive lights and the Christmas cheer remind you to spread the love to your family and friends, you should also remember that being healthy is a special present that you can give yourself and your family this holiday season and beyond.