Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I have lowered my cholesterol levels!

Do you get your cholesterol checked at least once in two years? I know not everyone get theirs checked..but it is important to do that. This is especially so since most of us are getting affluent and have been indulging in rich foods, coupled that with working late and not exercising :P

Do you know that our bodies produce substantial amounts of cholesterol. Apart from cholesterol that is obtained from diet, our bodies also manufacture cholesterol on their own.

Ideal Blood Cholesterol Levels

A blood test called a lipoprotein profile gives information about one’s total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and HDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Singapore’s Health Promotion Board recommends the following optimal levels:

  • Total cholesterol less than 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL)
  • LDL cholesterol less than 130 mg/dL
  • HDL cholesterol greater than 40 mg/dL
  • Triglycerides less than 200 mg/dL

The total cholesterol is the grand total of the three combinations (LDL, HDL and triglycerides) of fats so its absolute value is a less reliable health risk indicator. Someone with an ideal total cholesterol level but with a low HDL level is still at risk of heart disease while another person with a rise in total cholesterol level is not necessarily at risk of heart disease if it is an elevation in HDL which is causing the rise in total cholesterol.

I have a family history of hypertension, which makes me high risk if my cholesterol level isn't ideal.

Are you wondering am I telling you about this today? Because just half a year ago my total cholesterol level was at borderline high ! It was at a shocking 218ng/dL. The doctor said it's time I do something about my diet :P Yes, I have always try to eat healthy when I can , but come on, we all love our desserts and indulge in some unhealthy food once awhile :P

So in 4 months, I managed to lower my cholesterol levels to a good 159mg/dL!

Some of you may know that I have been eating oats with black sesame seed powder at least 5 times a week for my breakfast. That definitely helped to keep my health in check . I have been eating oats for the past 2 years or so. If I am at home , my mum would cook either brown rice or 5 grain porridge for lunch . All these are rich in fibre which we all need in our daily diet. It also helps to lower cholesterol. It is also important to consume some fruits everyday. If you are really busy, try getting a cup of fruit juice during lunch time..it may not be as good as eating the fruit it self but that should help. How can we burn off all these food if we do not exercise? Yes, I did go for my evening walks around my estate and those occasional weekend trails and walks did help.

Did I mention that eating fish helps? But only fatty fish with omega 3 helps to lower cholesterol. I eat fish at least 4 times a week.. and salmon and cod are my top favorite! Say no to fried fish! Pan fry or baked are really yummy :P

It is also important to eat colorful foods! That includes green veg, carrots, peppers, fruits such as apples, papaya, and berries. They are all rich in antioxidants :)

Just so you know, I am not ready to give up on eating my junk food, but at least I am cutting it down and also incorporating some form of healthy eating in my diet . I can't eat much junk either given my over active acidic stomach :P but chocolates are here to stay :P

Don't get my wrong..I am no health guru..but just a friend sharing some tips with you. Life is short..and if we can live healthily and enjoy the times we have by doing some simple changes ..why not~?

Friends have asked me what do I add to my oats.. so here it is..

- Rolled oats ( 3 tablespoon)
- Adult milk powder ie Anlene
- Black sesame seed powder (1 teaspoon )
- Psyllium seed husks ( 3/4 -1 teaspoon)
-Lecithin ( 3/4 -1 teaspoon)

You can vary the amount to your likening.. add more oats if you prefer a thicker and filling breakfast. Throw in some almonds or sliced banana if you like :)

It keeps me full and I hardly snack after breakfast :)

Remember ! Eat these~
Eat a few non salted non flavored nuts
each day..

Berries are great!

Veggies!



Drink more water~!





Here are some pages to read up on cholesterol as well as what are the food to eat ..
Let's all stay healthy!

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/SpecialFocus/Pages/Cholesterol-Facts-and-Myths.aspx

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/SpecialFocus/Pages/Cholesterol-and-your-Heart.aspx

Natural weight loss food- Oats

Diet secrets for women

There are a lot articles on the web for you to read up. I hope my experience helps you in deciding whether you want to be healthy or down with illness in the coming new year! Eating well also helps in maintaining good skin too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Triglycerides are another type of fatty substance in the blood. They're found in foods such as dairy products, meat and cooking oils. They can also be produced in the body, either by the body’s fat stores or in the liver.

People who are very overweight, eat a lot of fatty and sugary foods, or drink too much alcohol are more likely to have a high triglyceride level. People with high triglyceride levels have a greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease than people with lower levels."

triglycerides level