Friday, October 08, 2010

The One who is undergoing a lifestyle change.

So yes, after a visit to the doctor's last week at Raffles Hospital, I learn more about my condition ie why I bloat and what food should I avoid from now. So yes, the verdict is out .. I have GERD ( some call it heart burn) Mine isn't like totally full blown heart burn but I have had acid reflux b4 but rarely these days.

Here's a list of food that I have to avoid / limit from now in order to prevent my bloated situation as well as frequent burping. With short term medication and avoiding of these food, my condition can be prevented. As it is..I haven't been burping much these days..


Oh gosh.. no chocolates!~ no coke!
and I have to limit all my tea intake!
no more oranges!

See the tick against garlic n onion?
The doctor said that is about the only thing he kinda
allow me to consume... He said if possible, it's
best that I remove them from my food..


This is a health wake up call.. I mean my metabolism rate
is going down hill as I get older... so I have to eat light
and give up on the love of my life.. chocolates.

I guess eating the occasional one bite or one tiny piece
is okay.. but no more indulgence.

I have read on some health forums that stress seems to have a link to how the stomach reacts and of coz i believe so in my case.

I have found some information on the net about Gerd in case you are curious what is it all about...

What is GERD?

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a more serious form of gastroesophageal reflux (GER), which is common. GER occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) opens spontaneously, for varying periods of time, or does not close properly and stomach contents rise up into the esophagus. GER is also called acid reflux or acid regurgitation, because digestive juices—called acids—rise up with the food. The esophagus is the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. The LES is a ring of muscle at the bottom of the esophagus that acts like a valve between the esophagus and stomach.

When acid reflux occurs, food or fluid can be tasted in the back of the mouth. When refluxed stomach acid touches the lining of the esophagus it may cause a burning sensation in the chest or throat called heartburn or acid indigestion. Occasional GER is common and does not necessarily mean one has GERD. Persistent reflux that occurs more than twice a week is considered GERD, and it can eventually lead to more serious health problems. People of all ages can have GERD.

( Even though I rarely get the acid reflux, the doctor still regard me as having heartburn)


How is GERD treated?

Life-style changes

One of the simplest treatments for GERD is referred to as life-style changes, a combination of several changes in habit, particularly related to eating.

At night, when individuals are lying down, it is easier for reflux to occur. The reason that it is easier is because gravity is not opposing the reflux, as it does in the upright position during the day. In addition, the lack of an effect of gravity allows the refluxed liquid to travel further up the esophagus and remain in the esophagus longer. These problems can be overcome partially by elevating the upper body in bed. The elevation is accomplished either by putting blocks under the bed's feet at the head of the bed or, more conveniently, by sleeping with the upper body on a wedge. These maneuvers raise the esophagus above the stomach and partially restore the effects of gravity. It is important that the upper body and not just the head be elevated. Elevating only the head does not raise the esophagus and fails to restore the effects of gravity.

  • If you smoke, stop.
  • Avoid foods and beverages that worsen symptoms.
  • Lose weight if needed.
  • Eat small, frequent meals.
  • Wear loose-fitting clothes.
  • Avoid lying down for 2-3 hours after a meal. ( means I should avoid late night suppers att all times! )

I am currently on medication and have to be very disapline on my food in take . I really do not one another heartburn or indigestion episode. It's really unbearable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear.. no more chocolates.. :(

Take care and get well soon! *Hugs*