Tuesday, January 01, 2008

台北我来了!!Taipei trip ( I I I)--- of oceans and 九份


Monday 24th Dec

*pss-- you can click on the pics for larger images*


The day started pretty early as we were going on a day trip. Our 'tour guide' cab driver arrived on time at 8am and the first destination for the day was Yeliu. It is an hour's drive from Taipei and on the northern region. It is a costal area..and the main attraction there is the Geo Park.

I was kinda looking forward to this trip, unfortuantely I didn't get a chance to venture out to the park :(

Being an hour's drive, it only makes sense to have our breakfast on the way there. I guess I threw caution out of the wind and ate my bun along the way. That was a big big mistake . It wasn't a smooth ride due to the morning peak hour jam ..so the cab was moving and stopping often. I was still alright after eating my breakfast, but as the traffic picked up along the way, I was feeling really awful ..and kinda dozed off for awhile. I couldn't wait to get out of the cab as it pulled into the Geo Park . That's not all, it was also raining heavily and very cold. This was really a bad case of motion sickness and indigestion :X

To cut the story short...the girls proceeded to the coastal cape area to view the rocks formed by erosion and weathering while I rested at the waiting area.

I was feeling much much better when the girls returned from the trip. They didn't complete the trail as it was raining and the ground could be slippery.



Hey...who is this? hehe



It was off to the old streets of Jiu Fen 九份 after Geo Park. It was yet another hour's drive..but this time round no more motion sickness for me. I was all smiles again :P

Our guide said how can we not try betel nut in Taiwan..espcially so when this being our virgin trip. So he made a quick stop at this stall for the local treat.

I guess some of you have tried it or heard about /seen these bing lang girls wearing skimpy lingerie selling betel nuts . There are no 槟榔西施 in taipei coz the law is very strict there..most of these 西施 are found in Taichung and other parts of taiwan

The lady in the pic. is from Viet (or was it Myanmar..cannot recall). The shop name is 大陆妹。。



Betel nut...has a strange raw taste to it.
Definitely an acquired taste


our driver gave us some preserved fruit to go along with it
and here's me trying to keep a straight face when chewing it :P
You can swallow it but have to spit out the juice and some
of the fibrous part. I spit it out after 40secs hahhah



It was up hill to Jiufen 九份. It used to be a residential area ..up in the hills. In the olden days, people flocked to this place to dig for gold :P [ 自從 1893年 (光緒19年)在九份地區發現砂金,開始了此地的淘金人潮以及採金的歷史 ] There are still people residing there but not many. Most of the old houses have been conserved and have become cafes, restaurants and shops. As to why this place is call Jiu fen...it was said that there were only 9 families residing there in the initial days. So when it comes to going to the 'city' for basic necessities, they have to purchase 9 of the same items for these 9 families..hence the town was named Jiufen :]


It wasn't a good day to visit this place becoz of the rain..but still we had fun eating and shopping :P not to mention lots of climbing ..it is all stairs!! and upslope and downslope. It was all worth it..the air is fresh and thankfully the fog cleared and the scenery was lovely :) lots of singaporeans were there to that day. (from the way they look and the way they talk :P )

Here's us at the old street..



Things we ate! Yum yum. These are the must try


Q Q 的 芋圆。。(yam with red beans )


Too much walking...
took a breather at a cozy cafe overlooking the ocean and hills
Entrance of cafe


Climbed all the way up to the 4th level!
There's total 6 levels ..sadly it was pouring..
or else we would have loved to be at the top most level...it's al fresco~!


有吃的。。有喝的。。好好哟。。。


Braved the rain...went up to the top level..
nice view !!


Do you know what is this? Don't they look like little houses? :P They are actually tombs...yeah..
up on the mountain is a cemetery. The locals call it the 夜总会



After relaxing for close to 2 hours in the cafe, it was time to make our way down. The most amazing thing happen when we were going downslope. As I have mentioned, it was pouring so of coz our shoes were soaked.. sigh. My trackshoe finally gave way due to old age and also I seldom wear it ...hence the soles came off! I was still able to wear it but had to bear with the uncomfy-ness for the rest of the day :X

No..those are not our scooters haha.


more views of Jiufen







Ok.. i am totally bushed after this entry. Will update again later..
Don't bother to correct my grammar or spelling..I didn't proof read.

9 comments:

PinkHippo said...

Got to know your blog via keropok man...

Your trip to taiwan looks interesting! Am sure you have a great trip!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, eileen. Looks like u have a fulfilling trip. :D

Julian said...

I wanna try the betel nut....wonder if it's eaten the same way as the mamas do it???

Anonymous said...

wah, who is that fren of urs in beidge jacket? introduce to me leh

Anonymous said...

the pic where you in cab trying out the betel nut - sure u NEVER photoshopped??? anyway if u did it's also OK wah, many pp photoshopped their pics in blog. Dunno why you need be so harsh with that annoy reader in earlier post, calling her bitch somemore.

nothing wrong with PS your pics, and nothing wrong with admitting it.

Eileen. 静 said...

jul-- i think the indians eat it with a wrapped leaf over the nut rite? in taiwan they add some spices to it and also have some kind of leaf wrapped over it too. I tried the one with the spices. Don't like :P

Pinkhippo--Hey..thanks for visiting!
come back soon :)

Cendrine--was truly a great break from singapore :)

Eileen. 静 said...

to the anonymous who posted at 8.10am

do u have a name? it's okay even if u leave a nick..i dun like anonymous postings.

Do u self take photos? Pls try it on yourself. Certain angles make you look slimmer than usual . I took the cab pic myself with my handphone held much higher..thats the effect you will get. Why don't u try it out on yourself? Harsh? that's becoz she is my troll..she has been trolling on my blog for the longest time. then again..why do i have to be accountable to u?

others can photoshop their features all they like. thats their problem.
i am not them..

Anonymous said...

If I were you I wouldn't allow anonymous postings after all they are more often than not....cowards. Also don't be surprised most of the postings are from the one and only Rachael!

Cheers!

TG said...

我要去, 我要去! :-)