Saturday, July 02, 2011

Bidding goodbye to Tanjong Pagar Railway Station

I am not much a train enthusiast, but I do like exploring and there's always a place in my heart for all things old.. old friends, old buildings, familiarity is always comforting ..don't you think so? But I guess familiarity breeds contempt, and improvements or upgrading makes way for the old. This is what has happened to the railway stations and the defunct railway tracks. Most of them will be gone very soon and the shutters have come down on the Tanjong pagar railway station.

Sad but true, the one and only time I had a train ride was in the year 1982. I was in primary 2 , tagging along with my aunt and her friends for a holiday in KL and Frasier's Hill.

Pity we did not take any photos on board the train. I do vaguely recall seeing lots of trees and scenes of nature along the way.

The train was never an options for my future trips to Malaysia or anywhere else in the world. I kinda regretted that there wasn't a subsequent ride on the KTM.

Here are some photos I have taken of the Tanjong Pagar station . At least I will have these photos to keep for a long time to come .


It was a very gloomy day







A train pulls in at the platform
( what you can't see at the background ...
there were many people around me..
trying to get a shot of this train :)








Police post


Old school window
in the ladies' restroom



I hope these wall murals
will be preserved








Kinda regretted not going to the station
on the last day of operation..

Let's hope this place will be put in good use by the government.


No comments: