Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Gamelan Performance @ Shangri la

Venue-- Shangri la Hotel
Time -- 6pm -7.30pm
Institute of South East Asia Studies Gala Dinner

Our gamelan group provided musical respite to the guests during the cocktail reception to the above mentioned event. Despite my attempts to be there earlier, I was one of the latest to arrive :p So I had to play at one of the 'left over ' instrument :X Gotta blame it on my heels.. it was a new pair and walking uphill was no small feat (walked in all the way from The Pines :/ )

I was contemplating to take a cab..but after doing the maths.. I decided no way! The $3 peak hour surcharge is a killer already, plus the 35 % 5 pm surcharge! eeks. So it make sense to take a bus and walk.

Entered the hotel from the Valley wing... so had to go up to the 3rd floor to access to the Island ball room.



To be honest, this was only my 3rd visit to the Shang. with the last being yrs ago :P Must go again for the high tea :P

The corner we had wasn't even close to the ideal performing place.. as in it was noisy (guests were engaging with their chatter) and at times we couldn't really hear what one another were playing.. nevertheless, I think we played well :) Kinda sian while playing halfway coz we were almost like background music..no one (except for the handful of guests-- Tommy koh, George Yeo and some others ) really paid much attention to us. W e were suppose to stop playing at 7pm...but the guests were still hanging around in the foyer...so we were told to continue playing until the arrival of MM Lee (LKY)

So the music flowed through the foyer once again... and finally the moment arrived. ( I just wanted to go and have my dinner..was freezing and hungry by then!!) MM lee strolled in accompanied by his entourage of bodyguards followed by his wife, assisted by her aids.

MMlee and wife (photo from Mus)


camwhoring ...guess where..okay
it's in the loo ...erm..i tot the door looks nice mah


Musicians for this event ....



It was finally dinner time! Walked downhill and all the way to lucky plaza!! It nearly killed my feet to do that. But I soldiered on lah..coz I so so wanna eat ayam penyet :P

This time round we didn't go to the usual one I go to, but to the one on the first floor... next to lucky prata (julian..are u reading this hahah ) It was home sweet home after dinner...


don't drool..... :}


2 comments:

Julian said...

I read it dear..just couldn't comment earlier...and wow! Who are you going to perform for next? George Bush?? ha ha

Eileen. 静 said...

hahhah..it wasn't even a proper performance. Like i say..we were mere background music. almost alike to piped in music ..that's sad isn't it. another group did perform for bush. oh well :P hahaah