Thursday, September 13, 2007

" miss ah, I think you are very kind, can give me some money?"

Have you ever encountered beggars people asking for money these days.. the ah pek at the bus stop asking you for spare change to take a bus becoz he has ' no money' . How about the student claims that he lost his wallet and needs money for 'lunch'? He would ask another person the same thing even after you gave him $2? Isn't $2 enough for noodles at the hawker center?

Just last week, I was having supper at a prata stall along Bendemeer with a friend. Nothing special about that. The interesting sight would be of a boy ( of about 19, with a *slow* disposition ), hands to his face most of the time, going from table to table, asking for money from the diners. He would stand at your table, mumbled something about how he is unable to work and has no money. He would just go on whining if you refuse to acknowledge him.

I noticed him pestering the table next to ours and the malay lady 'donated' $2 to him after 2 mins or so. He worked his way our table..and stood next to me..hands outstretched. Anyway.. my friend fished out $1 from his pocket and handed it to the boy. * I prob. wouldn't give him if I am alone *

This scene would take place at all the tables..until he finished his round. There are about 10 tables outside and from what we saw, about 6 tables gave him either some spare change or $2.
In just under 15 mins, this boy has made about $ 10++ Would you have 'helped' him?

I mean do people give because they really wanna help him? or is it because they think he is a nuisance and just wanna shoo him away?

A better way to help him would be to refer him to some social welfare..but then again.. his family would have to meet the 'requirements' in order to receive any form of assistance.

Another encounter I had just happened yesterday while I was waiting for my bus at the bus stop outside Lavender train station. This isn't the first time someone have asked me for bus route direction. This middle age auntie came up to me..speaking in a splattering of hokkien and english. She wanted to know which bus can she take to Lor 4. I was puzzled since she didn't exactly state the road name. I sensed something isn't quite right.. as it wasn't just a simple case of 'which bus can i take' kinda situation .

After beating around the bush, she proceeded to her real motive. Yes, she wanted to know if I could 'lend' her some money for her bus fare. I turned her down flat. At that time there were quite a few 'uncles and ah peks' around..so I suggested to her to ask them for it :P

I don't think she genuinely needed the spare change for her bus fare. I bet even after giving her , she would tell the same grandfather story to the next person.

So ..have you encountered similar situations before?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is this person near where I live who will approach everyone with the same story as well. It always begins with "Do you speak Chinese"

Anyway I been approached 3 times by this person and the "sob" story is always the same.

Anonymous said...

I like the poems.. though they're kinda sad. But perhaps that's why i like them (:

-jujube

Eileen. 静 said...

jujube!! *hugs*

yeah..i know the poems are sad... don't mean to get u down my dear.. but thanks.. :)

Anonymous said...

Sheesh I know what you mean, puts you in a spot everytime! You want to help but at the same time you want to be sure they really need help to begin with. And hey...ever thought of writing Nursery Rhymes? *bear hugs*

Sheldon Wee said...

I kena those old people before, but after I give once and I walk away then by chance walk back I see him smoking, I swore never to give again.