Friday, September 07, 2007

Have I been made the latest 'dumbo' for such Hongkong/China scam calls---惠普希生物 (牺牲物)科技

Have I been made the latest 'sucker/dumbo' for such Hongkong/China scam calls? The particular phone call was made to my handphone at about 1.15pm . Thankfully after my lunch. I have always been skeptical about unidentified callers and private numbers. Nevertheless, I answered.

A very sweet sounding lady spoke to me in a heavily Taiwan accent Mandarin. She informed me that she's calling from 惠普希生物科技公司(I am not sure of the exact words, but in hanyu--hui pu xi sheng wu ) in Hongkong. What came to my mind immediately would be the scam calls that has infected so many Singaporeans/Malaysians these days. The sweet voice was very polite , asking if I could spare 3 mins of my time in answering some simple survey.

I obliged and after which, she asked for my name (I became Chen Mei Lan, 陈美兰)and also invited me to their展销会( sales event/exhibition) which will take place on the 9th Sept at JB. I declined attendance, and yes, like most scams, my name and phone number will be put to enter some lucky draw at the event.

It all sounded so legitimate haha. 惠普 ( Hewlett Packard) is such a big MNC, but how many S'poreans really know HP's chinese name? Such a coincidence too..I am using a HP pc :/

The phone call lasted less than 5 mins. Now I wonder what time will she be calling me on Sunday to inform me about my 'lucky' draw 'winnings'. Shall wait and see..

There are many people who actually got duped.. they really believed that by paying the deposit they are able to get the winning $$. I guess it's all about how gullible and greedy humans can be at times..


Other related stories and news

Man falls for scam

M'sian lady lost RM1.7

Kenny sia deposited RM1.00

3 comments:

Sheldon Wee said...

This sort of thing, I've got people calling me saying: shuai ge ni yao shu fu mah =.=

And if all the emails saying I've won lottery were true I'd be richer than Mr gates lol. But such calls provide good entertainment lol

Eileen. 静 said...

-_-''

your kind of calls are different... :P

Sheldon Wee said...

Ah but its still a business preposition :x